Our mid-sized Sashiko bag,
Typically Japanese and imbibed with both our culture and The Superior Labor's, the Sashiko Bag is one of our most important projects (from a personal perspective) to date, and we are proud to have been able to make it a reality with TSL.
We decided to work with TSL on the original Sashiko Bag project after a chance conversation in their workshop. The Sashiko Bag embodies our philosophy perfectly and is one of our favourite bags.
Classic Superior Labor design using a gorgeous traditional Japanese indigo dyed (dobby) sashiko cloth. Read our blog article for full details on the Sashiko Bag project and this very special material!
We worked with TSL for 13 months to finalise the original bag design, mainly due to the difficulty of sourcing this rare sashiko material.
The body of the bag is made of a rare deep blue indigo “dobby” type woven sashiko material (see blog article for details) and is lined in navy blue canvas. We deliberately chose to keep the material as supple as possible (no rigid lining), to avoid it being too bulky.
We chose TSL’s classic Japanese natural leather for the fittings, including handles, leather corners on the bottom to reduce wear, a shoulder strap with shoulder pad, brass “lucky turtle” charm and a generously sized zipped pocket on the rear. The design is classic The Superior Labor and the bag is handmade in Japan in small production runs.
Because of the organic materials, this bag’s appearance will change with use (getting more beautiful in our opinion), the sashiko cloth will fade in places and look even more gorgeous, the leather will darken with exposure to sunlight and may even show some indigo colour transfer.
Due to the high cost of the materials and the labour involved, only limited quantities available!
Every Sashiko Bag is fitted with a solid brass "Lucky Turtle" logo badge, which is made for us by The Superior Labor in Japan.
- the indigo dye used for the sashiko cloth can cause colour transfer by friction on lighter materials, please read the detailed description in our blog article.
- Size (approx.) L44cm (top)/34cm (bottom) × H34cm × W15cm)
- Strap length (approx.): Max. 100 cm
- Removable & adjustable leather strap with shoulder pad
- 1 inside pocket, 1 large zipped outside rear pocket
- Material: pure cotton indigo dyed Japanese sashiko cloth, Okayama cotton canvas lining, genuine leather & solid brass
- Exclusive to Nomado Store
- Handmade in Japan.
INCL.VAT price includes European VAT for orders shipping to the European Union.